device trees.

David H. Lynch Jr. dhlii at dlasys.net
Tue May 12 02:54:58 EST 2009

Timur Tabi wrote:
> On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 1:32 AM, David H. Lynch Jr. <dhlii at dlasys.net> wrote:
>
> So all you need to do is have your boot loader create a device tree
> from scratch.  If you're using U-Boot, then you can already do this by
> making the appropriate libfdt calls.  Otherwise, you should probably
> add libfdt to your boot loader.

    As I mentioned before, we do nto use u-boot. I am not looking to
start a debate on it either, but it does not meet a number of our needs,
    and would require significant architectural changes to do so. The
difference between it and devicetrees is that u-boot is avaiable to us
if we want, I did port u-boot to our hardware at one point and it did
everything it promised, but u-boot is optional, device trees are not.
    I do not have to re-architect u-boot to fit into 16k of bram, or
load bit files or .....
     If I want to move past 2.6.26 I have to not only use device trees
but actually make them work in a way that will function as we need with
our systems.
    It is likely I will use libdft as a starting point, but I can not
see it as more than a short term solution. libdft is orders of magnitude
large than our entire monitor, and it is a toolkit rather than the whole
solution.

--
Dave Lynch 					  	    DLA Systems
Software Development:  				         Embedded Linux

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."
Albert Einstein