MPC5121 new board constantly resetting after u-boot passes control to Linux

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri May 8 06:20:55 EST 2009

Dear Damien,

in message <c788c1220905070143t5271ebe1ra12df43f8f53e491 at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> We are attempting to bring up a new MPC5121e board, somewhat based on the
> Silicon Turnkey's ADS5121 development board.  We are using a kernel and
> u-boot based on Freescale/STx's board support package.

I recommend to use current code - tip of tree in U-Boot (although I
have a long stack of patches in the queue - wait for the weekend) and
Linux (use mainline aka kernel.org plus the patches I just posted for
a start).

> We have successfully modified u-boot for the 64MB of DDR2 RAM, and we can
> use u-boot's (and the BDI's) memory test facility to check that the RAM is
> working.

Let's say, it is *basicly* working. Note that these memory tests
don't stress-test the bus; for example, they do not stress-test any
burst-mode accesses.

See the FAQ: http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/UBootCrashAfterRelocation

My bet is you got a memory initialization error.

> At this point, the board immediately resets.  There is no hint of life from
> the kernel from the console, although setting a breakpoint on the BDI at
> 0x0000000 and tracing through appears as though some code (although we don't
> know what) is being executed.

Why don't you know which code this is? GDB will tell you.

Did you try the standard methods, like post-mortem dump of the log
buffer area, etc.?  See the FAQ for details.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
I think there's a world market for about five computers.
         -- attr. Thomas J. Watson (Chairman of the Board, IBM), 1943