modprobe problem

Carlos Roberto Moratelli carlos.moratelli at digitel.com.br
Wed May 6 02:00:25 EST 2009

Hello,

I have a Kernel 2.6.24 running on a custom board based on mpc8313erdb.
My filesystem is composed by a read-only squashfs and a read-write jffs2
filesystems. A unionfs is used to unificate the filesystems.

Like you know, when a file on my read-only squasfs is modified such file
is copied to read-write jffs2 partition by unionfs. So, when you try to
read such file again, the modified copy on jffs2 will be used.

The kernel modules (.ko) are on squashfs and I am using modprobe to load
the kernel modules.

THE PROBLEM is when I try load a module using modprobe, this module is
copied from squashfs to jffs2 filesystem. But, my intention is not
modify the module, just load it.

I am supposing that is a problem because the modules are using
duplicated space in flash and I don't want to store the modules in jffs2
because the compression is lower.

Does someone know why this happend?

Thanks,

Moratelli