physmap_of and partitions (mtd concat support)

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Tue Mar 24 02:37:31 EST 2009

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 4:51 AM, Stefan Roese <sr at denx.de> wrote:
> I just noticed that physmap_of can't handle multiple devices of different type
> described in one device node. For example the Intel P30 48F4400 (64MByte)
> consists internally of 2 non-identical NOR chips. So a "simple"
[...]
> Now the real problem: How should I describe a partition in the device tree
> spanning over both devices (concat)?. The current physmap_of driver doesn't
> handle concat at all (physmap.c does). I already have some ideas on how to
> implement this concat support in physmap_of. But ideas about a device-tree
> syntax for such partitions are very welcome.

Sounds to me like a physmap_of driver bug.  I don't think there is any
advantage in changing the partition syntax since concatenated flash
will always be used as a single device.  It doesn't make any sense to
try and span partitions over two nodes.

Do additional properties need to be added to describe the concat layout?

g.

--
Grant Likely, B.Sc., P.Eng.
Secret Lab Technologies Ltd.