[RFC]PPC driver lock for DMA registers

Eddie Dawydiuk eddie at embeddedarm.com
Thu Mar 19 03:29:13 EST 2009

Hello,

I'm working on SD card and Nand drivers that I would like to eventually submit
for inclusion in the mainline kernel. This being my first kernel port being
submitted upstream I was hoping for comments on my proposed design to ensure it
would be excepted in the mainline kernel(from a design standpoint). We have an
FPGA on our product that has an interface for transferring data via DMA. The SD
card driver and Nand flash driver will both be accessing these registers. As a
result I was planning on writing a dma driver(drivers/dma/ts81xx.c) that
implements a function dma_op() that gets passed a physical address, virtual
address, length, and read/write op and returns an int. I'd use a semaphore to
protect the registers. I'd also implement a function dma_bus_init() for
allocating a cache coherent buffer, initializing the semaphore, and ioremapping
the FPGA regs.

I'd really appreciate any feedback or suggestions.

--
Best Regards,