Freescale MPC8313ERDB-RevA and newer BSP/kernel

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Thu Mar 12 03:53:20 EST 2009

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 12:03:00PM -0400, Mark Bishop wrote:
> Yes I have actually.  I have booted a 2.6.28.6.  Same problem.

I've booted many recent kernels on revA 8313ERDB; networking works fine.
I'll try 2.6.28.6 specifically, though u-boot is acting up at the moment
so I have to address that first. :-(

Are you using the stock config and device tree from 2.6.28.6, or have you
made any changes?

> Also, is it me but at some point from 2.6.23 to 2.6.28 did they
> started using hex numbers in the .dts file for "interrupts = " without
> the 0x preamble?

Yes.  dts version 0 had hex by default (with OF-like radix prefixes), and version 1 (indicated by
/dts-v1/; at the top of the file) has decimal by default (with C-like
radix prefixes).

> I've been looking at 2.6.20, 2.6.23, and 2.6.28 .dts files for this
> board and .28 looked way different in the interrupt section for the
> eTSEC.
>
> Quoting Kumar Gala <galak at kernel.crashing.org>:

Please don't top-post.

> >>The boards we received didn't have SPI compiled into the kernel and
> >>when we went to go re-compile the kernel using the 20081222 and
> >>20080711 BSPs.  I realize that the interrupts were reversed for
> >>eTEC1 and eTEC2 and I've made the changes in the .dtb file and I no
> >>longer hang when I ping, etc.   But I still can't get the board on
> >>the network.  I've verified it isn't the network settings.

You're sure you're not trying to talk to the switch (which will claim
link-up regardless of what's plugged into it)?  The non-switch ethernet
port is eTSEC2.

What *does* it do when you ping, if neither hang nor work?

-Scott