83xx: Marking or Allocating Pages as Cache-Inhibited

Ben Menchaca ben.menchaca at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 14:27:39 EST 2009

The only problem host found so far is a newer Asus 970FX motherboard,
regardless of OS.

We are seeing that some time after LTSSM finishes, but long before OS load,
our PEX_DEVICE_CONTROL register is changed.  On the "working" motherboards,
NO_SNOOP is enabled; if I read the spec correctly, this means that TLPs with
no-snoop are permitted.  On the non-working motherboards, NO_SNOOP is
disabled; this is supposed to mean that TLPs with no-snoop are not permitted
(again, if I understand correctly).  Is it possible that there has been
another misinterpretation of this bit?  Something regarding the generation
of snoops on CSB when it is cleared?

This bit could be a complete red herring; it was one of the few differences
in the config space, however, so it was my best guess.

- Ben