[RFC 1/2] powerpc/5200: add general purpose timer API for the MPC5200

Jon Smirl jonsmirl at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 08:29:55 EST 2009

I'm using a GPT pin in input capture mode to implement IR. I attached
my GPT driver code. I can convert to your API. That's a really cheap
way to do IR, just IR sensor, resistor and a cap.

I also have an in-kernel IR system but Christoph (lirc maintainer)
won't consider it. He is a microkernel type - he wants everything in
user space. My in-kernel version is tiny, less than 10K. It turns IR
events into keystrokes on a virtual keyboard device.

This is my old device tree, what should the new one look like?

		ir0 at 670 { /* General Purpose Timer 6 in Input mode */
			compatible = "gpt-ir";
			cell-index = <7>;
			reg = <0x670 0x10>;
			interrupts = <0x1 0x10 0x0>;