powerpc allnoconfig

Stephen Rothwell sfr at canb.auug.org.au
Tue Mar 3 15:40:43 EST 2009

Hi Andrew,

On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 20:08:09 -0800 Andrew Morton <akpm at linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> > Right, you have a 64 bit only compiler. Also it is version 4.1.0 which we now black ban (I think).
>
> Probably.  But I only use it for compilation testing, so the `Your
> version of gcc miscompiles the __weak directive' thing is a pointless
> PITA, so I patch it out.

Ah, ok.

> > let us know if that works :-)
>
> didn't.  Oh well.

Rats!

I think we need a better bug report :-)
Kernel version? What error do you get now?

It works for me:

$ /home/sfr/kernels/cross/bin/powerpc64-linux-gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
Target: powerpc64-linux
Configured with: /home/sfr/kernels/tools/gcc-4.3.2/configure --target=powerpc64-linux --enable-targets=all --prefix=/home/sfr/kernels/cross --with-mpfr=/usr --enable-languages=c --without-headers --enable-sjlj-exceptions --with-system-libunwind --disable-nls --disable-threads --disable-shared --disable-libmudflap --disable-libssp --disable-libgomp --disable-decimal-float --enable-checking=release
Thread model: single
gcc version 4.3.2 (GCC)
$ git describe --all
tags/next-20090302

also Linus' recent tree works:

$ git describe
v2.6.29-rc6-216-g778ef1e

> It seems odd that it breaks an allnoconfig build, whereas defconfig and
> allmodconfig are OK.

allmodconfig and defconfig turn CONFIG_PPC64 on.  allnoconfig turns it
off so you are trying to build a 32 bit kernel with a 64 bit compiler.

--
Cheers,
Stephen Rothwell                    sfr at canb.auug.org.au
http://www.canb.auug.org.au/~sfr/