OF device mappings

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Sun Mar 1 06:18:23 EST 2009

Grant Likely wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 11:21 AM, Gary Thomas <gary at mlbassoc.com> wrote:
>> Grant Likely wrote:
>>> Once you have a handle to the node, you can iterate through the
>>> of_platform bus devices and look for a node which has a matching node
>>> pointer stored in archdata.  That will give you a struct device which
>>> is contained by a struct of_device (note well: this will give you an
>>> of_device, not a platform_device.)
>> I have code which does this already, but I could not figure out
>> how to get from the of_device node to the actual platform_device.
>
> You can't.  There is no platform_device.  There is only the of_device.
>
> The bit that you're missing is that the 'platform bus' isn't being
> used at all for these devices.  The 'of_platform bus' is used instead.
>  platform bus and of_platform bus perform essentially the same job,
> but the of_platform bus differs in the way it probes drivers.
> Specifically, an of_platform_driver can be handed a list of values
> that it will match against, and it has a 1:1 relationship with a node
> in the device tree.
>
>> How do I find the platform_device which was created when this
>> particular of_device was instantiated?  I made sure that this code
>> is run late - after all the of_devices have been handled.
>
> Again, there is no platform_device.  of_device *is* the device that was created.

But this doesn't work :-(  I also don't understand how you
can say "there is no platform_device" - they are everywhere,
corresponding to actual device instances, as the system
creates them, typically in a driver 'probe' function.

I've tried both ways.  If I look up the of_platform node and
then pass the 'dev' structure to the DSA driver, it doesn't work.
If I look up the actual device instance from the platform_bus
and pass that to the driver, it does.

How do I get to the proper 'dev' structure which will make the
DSA driver work?

More details - the DSA driver is expecting to get the 'dev'
structure pointer which was created in the gianfar driver,
  static int gfar_probe(struct platform_device *pdev)
namely '&pdev->dev' -- this works.

If I look up the of_platform device like this:
    for_each_compatible_node(np, NULL, "marvell,m88e609x") {
        const phandle *ph;
        struct device *dev;
        struct of_device *of_dev;

        ph = of_get_property(np, "net_devX", NULL);
        if (ph == NULL) {
            printk("%s: missing 'net_dev'\n", np->name);
            break;
        }
        of_dev = of_find_device_by_phandle(*ph);
and pass '&of_dev->dev', the DSA driver fails.

What am I missing and how do I solve this?

I'm not trying to be obstinate; I just need this to work
and I'm trying to make it work in an extensible, "play nice
in the OF sandbox" way.

Thanks for your help