OF device mappings

Gary Thomas gary at mlbassoc.com
Sun Mar 1 05:21:17 EST 2009

Grant Likely wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 10:46 AM, Gary Thomas <gary at mlbassoc.com> wrote:
>> Still looking for some help...  I need to be able to locate
>> the kernel platform_device which corresponds to an instance
>> from my OF tree.  Basically, I have a [somewhat] unrelated
>> driver which needs to know these things, so the drivers in
>> question should not have to be affected.
>>
>> In particular, I'm working with the net/dsa drivers (Distributed
>> Switch Architecture) which need access to the network driver as
>> well as the MII/MDIO bus driver.  It doesn't make sense to tie
>> those drivers back to DSA, but rather let the DSA driver find
>> its way to them.
>>
>> I've defined this in by DTS tree:
>>        lan1 {
>>                cell-index = <0x01>;
>
> Side note, why do you have cell-index here?  I suspect that you're
> using it incorrectly.

Probably - I don't think I need it anyway.

>>                compatible = "marvell,m88e609x";
>>                net_dev = "fsl-gianfar.0";
>>                mii_bus = "fsl-gianfar_mdio.14";
>
> These two lines don't make much sense.  They are encoding Linux
> internal details with could very well change in the future.
>
>>                net_devX = <&eth0>;
>>                mii_busX = <&mii_bus>;
>
> This is the right thing to do.  This give you the phandle to the relevant node.

As I suspected.

> Once you have a handle to the node, you can iterate through the
> of_platform bus devices and look for a node which has a matching node
> pointer stored in archdata.  That will give you a struct device which
> is contained by a struct of_device (note well: this will give you an
> of_device, not a platform_device.)

I have code which does this already, but I could not figure out
how to get from the of_device node to the actual platform_device.
    for_each_compatible_node(np, NULL, "marvell,m88e609x") {
        const phandle *ph;
        struct device *dev;
        struct of_device *of_dev;

        ph = of_get_property(np, "net_devX", NULL);
        if (ph == NULL) {
            printk("%s: missing 'net_dev'\n", np->name);
            break;
        }
        of_dev = of_find_device_by_phandle(*ph);
    }

How do I find the platform_device which was created when this
particular of_device was instantiated?  I made sure that this code
is run late - after all the of_devices have been handled.

> I'm working on a set of patches which should make this much easier.
> I'll try to remember to CC you when I post them to the list.

Looking forward to your code/ideas