RapidIO - general questions

Jan Neskudla jan.neskudla.ext at nsn.com
Tue Jun 30 00:19:53 EST 2009

Hi as I already informed you,
we'd like to contribute to the Linux RapidIO subsystem, with several
features, Here are few general information about the design of
implementation of such features.

naming:
domain - a several boards connected together via rio, with only one host
host -  a MCU with host bit set, only one per domain
domain master - a host which have also domain_master_bit set ( boot
param), only one in overall system.

* Domains configuration - traverse the whole rio network by domain
master to find all the hosts, providing a domain IDs to them and finally
programing domain routing tables to the switches. Since we are
cooperating with a IDT as a switch supplier, the IDT will public their
private API for setting such a domain routing tables under GPL.
- there is an issue how to proceed with a locking of the switches,
during enumeration of domains and later on during enumeration of
endpoint by hosts. All the time, of running system, there  will be two
MCUs trying to configure the same switch in certain situation,
especially during hot-plug of domain. So this is not clear yet.

* Static ID configuration based on port numbers
  tree sysfs files for providing necessary info :
      host_id - this is the same like riohdid boot parameter now
      switch_ids - this file is for providing source ids for switches to
be able to report problems via port-write packets
      endpoint_ids - to provide list of all endpoint in one domain.
  I read somewhere that passing of structures via sysFS is not
acceptable, but how to pass some more information to the kernel.
I expect to pass those structures via bin sysFS files, analyze the input
not only cast it, and than use it. Is it this OK ?

* User triggered enumeration/discovery
This is necessary because of the static IDs. They have to be know before
enumeration can start, and this is most general way of doing this.
So once the static Ids are provided over sysFS files, then via another
sysFS file a enumeration is triggered. I am talking about enumeration
only because the endpoints that wait for the enumeration are going to
preform discovery as usual, after enumeration.
This needs some changes. Whole enumeration process have to be put into
the kthread and discovery as well. Then kernel can boots up to user
space and enumeration can be triggered.
Is there any standard way in the kernel how to postpone and than trigger
a configuration of a bus from the user space ?

* User space library for configuring switches
IDT is going to provide user space GPL library that will covers an rio
switch configuration based on rio spec 2.0.

* Error handling (port-write packets - configuration, handling of them)
This should be as general as possible, and IDT is designing this part.
So a port-write packet (have to be written) driver will receive a
packet, analyze this and perform an action: - two scenarios can happen.
1. The port-write info is part of the rio spec 2.0 and the packet is
processed by kernel directly
2. The port-write info is vendor specific and it is passed to the user
space, where is processed and proper action is than taken via current
sysFS config files.

* Hot-plug (hot-insert/hot-remove) of devices
This is case of error handling.
In case of any error covered by rio spec 2.0 (bad CRC, bad
character, .. ) the ports of the switch that generates this port-write
info are scanned for PORT_OK status or PORT_UNINITIALIZED so we are able
to catch the hot-plug/hot-extract of any device.
Hotplug should be functional in the time of enumeration, because
enumeration process traverse the system port by port, and if some
endpoint is powered on after enumeration process testes its port but
before the end of the standard enumeration process, this device can be
missed.

* Aux driver - basic driver, for sending messages over different
mboxes,
right now we implemented this as a character device. If any one is
interested let me know, I will send this to you.

On the end we'd like to support already existing scenario of dynamic
assignment of the devID as well as static ID and user space triggered
enumeration.

The question is if there is a static table of IDs, do we still needs an
discovery process on every endpoint ? Propagating any hot-plug/hot-
extract event to every endpoint to reflect this in local sysfs structure
would be quite hard.

Any comment to this topics is highly appreciated, as well as forwarding
this to anyone who can be interested.

                           Jan