sym scsi driver problem with 2.6.26 or newer debian kernel on p610 (fwd)

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Wed Jun 24 07:57:08 EST 2009

> I tried on a POWER3 box I have here "IBM,7044-170" and things work fine
> here with current upstream. (I suspect a much smaller machine).
>
> I will really need an actual bisection here... In the meantime, I'll see
> if I can get my hand on one of these machines here.

Ok so I think we may have found it... looks like
CONFIG_MPIC_BROKEN_REGREAD is what breaks it which is enabled by PA-Semi
support in the .config.

Can you verify that disabling PA-Semi support removes that option from
your .config and that once removed, it works again ?

We don't know yet -why- it breaks it, still investigating.

Cheers,
Ben.