ALSA fixes for non-coherent ppc32 again

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Mon Jun 22 17:12:35 EST 2009

At Mon, 22 Jun 2009 08:34:38 +1000,
Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> On Sun, 2009-06-21 at 20:18 +0200, Gerhard Pircher wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Takashi Iwai posted patches to make ALSA work on non-coherent PPC32
> > systems (almost exactly) a year ago. See here:
> > http://www.nabble.com/-PATCH-0-3--ALSA-fixes-for-non-coherent-ppc32-to17980027.html#a17980027
> >
> > As far as I can see these patches never went upstream. Where there any
> > objections or did we just forget about them? It would be cool, if the
> > patches could be merged now, as at least two platforms need this bugfix
> > (namely Sam440 and AmigaOne).
>
> I definitely forgot about those...

Me, too, almost... :)

> But I'm fine with what Takashi did
> for now, I can always make the powerpc helper for dma_mmap_coherent()
> smarter later on if necessary.

I updated the patch series for 2.6.31, including sparc32, parisc, mips
and sh support.  The patches are found in test/dma-fix branch of sound
git tree:
 git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tiwai/sound-2.6.git test/dma-fix

The old patches for 2.6.30 is found at history/dma-fix-2.6.30 branch
there, too.

For merging to the upstream, we'll need definitely discussions on
linux-arch ML or so, as once James Bottomley suggested.  I'll try to
make it up once after the merge window.

But, it'd be helpful if someone can test the patches above beforehand,
of course :)

thanks,

Takashi