PowerPC PCI DMA issues (prefetch/coherency?)

Chris Pringle chris.pringle at oxtel.com
Wed Jun 17 23:18:41 EST 2009

Chris Pringle wrote:
>> You could enable CONFIG_NOT_COHERENT_CACHE.
>>
> I've just tried this (I had to edit Kconfig in power/platforms to make
> the build system accept it), and interestingly it's making no
> difference. I'm using streaming mappings, and are using the pci_map_sg
> functions to ensure the memory is mapped/flushed correctly. I've also
> explicitly put in a pci_dma_sync_sg_for_device, however that's also
> not made any difference. Turning the cpu cache snoop off has the same
> affect as it did without CONFIG_NOT_COHERENT_CACHE; it gets much
> worse. Any other ideas?
>
> Will back off the low latency patches next, and give 2.6.30 a try -
> see if that makes any difference.

Low latency patches made no difference. Tried it with 2.6.30 and it now
works. There are a couple of commits contributing to the fix, including
one introduced between 2.6.29-rc8 and 2.6.29 proper in
powerpc/kernel/head_32.S (couple of commits with the name "Fix Respect
_PAGE_COHERENT on classic ppc32 SW TLB load machines"). I've tried
backporting this to 2.6.29-rc8 and it then worked. Backporting to 2.6.26
made no difference however, so I suspect there are other things fixed
which are also contributing.

I'm going to move to 2.6.29/2.6.30 which should resolve our issue.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread.

Chris

--

Chris Pringle

Miranda Technologies Ltd.