PowerPC PCI DMA issues (prefetch/coherency?)

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Wed Jun 17 04:02:11 EST 2009

On Tuesday 16 June 2009, Scott Wood wrote:
> > If the
> > device is the only one, you can also use dma_alloc_noncoherent() and
> > flush explicitly with dma_cache_sync().
>
> I don't see how that would help -- aren't those also controlled by
> CONFIG_NOT_COHERENT_CACHE?

Ah, yes you are right. PowerPC implements dma_alloc_noncoherent as
dma_alloc_coherent, so dma_cache_sync() is actually a NOP (or should be).

Actually there seems to be a bug in here: Since dma_alloc_noncoherent
gives you a coherent mapping (or NULL) on noncoherent machines,
dma_cache_sync() is redundant and should not actually flush the
cache, or we should change dma_alloc_noncoherent to do a simple
alloc_pages on CONFIG_NON_COHERENT_CACHE and leave dma_cache_sync()
as it is.

	Arnd <><