linux-next: origin tree build failure

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Sat Jun 13 00:23:02 EST 2009

On Fri, 2009-06-12 at 16:11 +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > Maybe. But maybe it's representative... so far in this merge
> > window, 100% of the powerpc build and runtime breakage upstream
> > comes from stuff that didn't get into -next before.
>
> But that's axiomatic, isnt it? linux-next build-tests PowerPC as the
> first in the row of tests - so no change that was in linux-next can
> ever cause a build failure on PowerPC, right?

I'd have to check with Stephen but I think linux-next tests a whole
bunch of archs each round. Anyway, the idea is, just don't get things
upstream before the at least had a chance to go through that little bit
of integration testing .. Is it -that- hard ?

Oh and before you ask me, yes, I do the same mistakes, and I have been
caught too merging things at the last minute that ended up broken and
that could have been caught by -next... I'm just trying to advocate the
idea that we all try to improve in that area :-)

Cheers,
Ben.