MPC52xx simple GPIO support

Stefan Strobl nst at gersys.de
Wed Jun 3 22:42:26 EST 2009

Anton Vorontsov wrote:
> Hi Stefan,
>
> On Tue, Jun 02, 2009 at 07:02:25PM +0200, Stefan Strobl wrote:
>> Hi
>> I still don't quite understand how to use the Flattened Device Tree /
>> Open Firmware. I see there's a driver (mpc52xx_gpt.c) that supports to
>> use the Pins on the GPT as simple GPIOs.
>>
>> I can see the appropriate entries in sysfs
>> (/sys/devices/f0000000.soc5200/f0000620.timer), but how can I actually
>> use these GPIO's now?
>
> For in-kernel usage example you can take a look at:
> arch/powerpc/boot/dts/mpc836x_rdk.dts (upm node, notice gpios = <>)
> drivers/mtd/nand/fsl_upm.c (of_get_gpio() then gpio_request()).
>
> For userland usage you need to enable CONFIG_GPIO_SYSFS, and then
> look into /sys/class/gpio/{gpiochip,export,gpioNNN}.

Thanks. With CONFIG_GPIO_SYSFS I can see the gpios as you mentioned, but
cannot change its state there.

I've now also added CONFIG_LEDS_GPIO and was able to connect the GPIOs
to LEDs like this:

gpt2: timer at 620 {
	compatible = "fsl,mpc5200b-gpt-gpio","fsl,mpc5200-gpt-gpio";
	reg = <0x620 0x10>;
	interrupts = <1 11 0>;
	gpio-controller;
	#gpio-cells = <2>;
};

leds {
	compatible = "gpio-leds";
	dbg {
		label = "DbgLED";
		gpios = <&gpt2 0 1>; /* Active low */
		linux,default-trigger = "heartbeat";
	};
};

I can now manipulate the state of the LED in /sys/class/led/DbgLED/,
which is cool.

The led class provides support for setting the brightness, which
obviously the gpio driver doesn't support. The hardware (mpc52xx_gpt)
would support it in PWM mode though. I'm now wandering how this could be
best implemented.

1) - Create some PWM class similar to the GPIO class
   - Add support for PWM mode in mpc52xx_gpt.c that uses that PWM class
   - And add an interface for the LED to use the PWM class

2) - Create an LED driver that accesses the mpc52xx_gpt directly.

I think I would be overwhelmed trying to implement (1) but am confident
to do (2). What do you think is the right approach?

Cheers, Stefan.