image/wrapper script questions

Eddie Dawydiuk eddie at embeddedarm.com
Tue Jul 28 03:10:24 EST 2009

Hello,

I'm working on a custom board using an AMCC 440EP that is using a proprietary
bootloader(optimized for fast boot time). Currently our bootloader loads a
simpleImage.initrd into RAM and jumps into it. I originally chose to use a
simpleImage with an initial ramdisk embedded because it was the simplest
solution to debug the hardware and get a kernel and initial ramdisk running for
development. For production I would prefer to put the initial ramdisk on it's
own partition to allow customers to easily modify the initrd without having to
concern themselves with the details of how to recompile a kernel. Would you
recommend using one of the existing images(e.g. boot wrapper) or modify the
bootrom to load the PPC registers with the details of where to find the dts,
kernel, and initrd?

Thanks for any suggestions :)

--
Best Regards,