BUG in dma-mapping.h:218 // MESH SCSI driver not working

Stef Simoens stef.simoens at numericable.be
Fri Jul 24 21:55:21 EST 2009

Hello Ben,

Thank you for your reply.

> On Fri, 2009-07-24 at 00:18 +0200, Stef Simoens wrote:
>> I tried the latest 2.6.31-rc3-git3 (without any other patch).
>> However, I have the same behaviour as the patched 2.6.30 (so: no BUG,
>> but the mesh_abort messages).
> Would it be possible for you to roughly find out at what kernel version
> it stopped working ? (Some kernels may need my patch to avoid crashing)

I am currently running 2.6.29-gentoo-r5 (that's somewhere at the end of
2.6.29, probably 2.6.29.5).

I compiled 2.6.30 as soon as it came 'stable'.
In any version of 2.6.30,  I encounter the BUG (dma-mapping.h:218).

I didn't react immediately, I actually guessed that the problem would have
been reported and solved in another 2.6.30.x.
Because it didn't, I started browsing the mailing-list (and found your
patch).
2.6.30-gentoo-r3 with your patch applied doesn't give the bug,
but gives the mesh_abort.

Before asking the question, I wanted to build the latest 2.6.31-rc
available to make sure my problem didn't get solved in the meantime.
2.6.31-rc3 gives the same mesh_abort.

Would you like me to try all the linux-2.6.30-rc?
Could you give me your best guess starting-point?

I know that there exists something as git-disect ... but I have never used
git (there always needs to be the first time, of course).

Kind regards,

Stef