Linux with RAM mapped other than zero.

Sumesh Kaana sumeshkkn at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 16 22:08:46 EST 2009

Hi all, I've a system design  (32 bit) with SDRAM mapped at 0xf8000000 rather than at 0. what are the changes i should make to successfully boot a kernel..? my design with SDRAM at 0 (64MB) is working fine with xilinx git line kernel(2.6.27).  i was using 'make simpleImage.xilinx (where xilinx.dts is my device tree file) i tried to change the link_address in arch/powerpc/boot/wrapper from 0x400000 to 0xf4000000. when i analysed the dump with step mode in xmd, it fails in platform_init()function in arch/powerpc/boot/simpleboot.c may be at /* Only interested in memory based at 0 */
 for (i = 0; i < *na; i++)
  if (*reg++ != 0)
   fatal("Memory range is not based at address 0\n");  can anyone tell what are the changes i shoud do if my memory ranges from 0xf8000000 to 0xfbffffff..? (64MB)
is it possible to change the  physical address of kernel from 0 to any other location..? is the option provided in menuconfig..? or in any linker script..?
  Thanks in advance,Sumesh.