Delay on intialization ide subsystem(most likely)

Andrey Gusev a.gusev1980 at mail.ru
Tue Jul 14 05:27:21 EST 2009

On Wed, 08 Jul 2009 11:12:42 +1000
Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh at kernel.crashing.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-07-08 at 01:18 +0400, Andrey Gusev wrote:
>
> > I tried this drive on ide1 and ide2, there are same issue. This
> > drive worked on P-III before (as separate on channel, with another
> > hard drive and with cdrom) and I didn't have any problem with it.
> > There are chunks of dmesg.
>
> Wow... It also fails with MWDMA2 ! That's just plain weird. It fails
> as master as well as slave too. Hrm. I wonder if it could be your
> cable... Do you have other machines (non-powermac) you can try that
> drive again just in case it toast itself in some way too ?

It couldn't be cable, because all tests were on different cables. Unfortunately,
I don't have another machine. I try find one, but it wouldn't be fast. This drive
used early and I didn't have any problems. It was unused some time and may be something
happened with it.
Note, it was slave only with another hard disk, in other cases it was master (single on
cable).