MTD OF parser problem

Scott Wood scottwood at freescale.com
Wed Jul 8 03:31:46 EST 2009

On Tue, Jul 07, 2009 at 03:45:29PM +0200, Roman Fietze wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> I tried to define my MTD partitions in a device tree as
> documented. The function of_flash_probe() inside teh file physmap_of.c
> never compiled the code below
>
> #ifdef CONFIG_MTD_OF_PARTS
>
> because when the MTD subsystem is compiled as a module I can only find
> CONFIG_MTD_OF_PARTS_MODULE beeing defined somewhere below my build
> directory.
>
> If I change the above define to
>
> #if defined(CONFIG_MTD_OF_PARTS) || defined(CONFIG_MTD_OF_PARTS_MODULE)
>
> everything is fine and MTD partition work as expected.
>
> My fault? Other solution?

That would break if MTD_PHYSMAP_OF (or any other user) is built-in but
MTD_OF_PARTS is a module.

Perhaps there's some way we could hook OF partitions into the normal
partition probing, so we don't have to refer to it by symbol?  The main
obstacle would be communicating the device node.

Or we could just disallow MTD_OF_PARTS from being modularized -- like
MTD_PARTITIONS.

-Scott