Non-contiguous physical memory on 8572

Aaron Pace kodiakuppercut at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 06:11:15 EST 2009

Hello,

I wrote to this list quite some time ago concerning a board that has 2
gigs of ram mapped in at 0x0.0000.0000 - 0x0.7fff.ffff, and a second 2
gigs of ram at 0x1.0000.0000 - 0x1.7fff.ffff.  Kumar responded and
mentioned that this wasn't currently supported in the powerpc
architecture.  I've had this on my 'curiosity' back burner to take a
look at for some time.
I found a little time to look at this, and what I discovered is that
this seems to actually have been a fairly trivial problem to solve.
I'd like to get some feedback on the method I used, if possible, to
see if I've overlooked something blatantly obvious.

In MMU_init of arch/powerpc/mm/init_32.c, where the current code sets
lmb.memory.cnt to zero, I instead walk through the memory regions and
call lmb_reserve for each chunk of memory that lies in a 'hole'.
There are then some minor fixups to make sure that total_memory and
total_highmem get the right numbers.  This small change allows all
four gigabytes of memory to be accessed and used in my tests.

Am I missing something obvious?
Would you like this in a patch for 32 or next, or is there a reason
that this would not be desirable in the powerpc branch?

Thanks,
Aaron