How to set DDR data bus width to 16Bit

Norbert van Bolhuis nvbolhuis at aimvalley.nl
Thu Jul 2 19:04:18 EST 2009

you have to do it via your bootloader (u-boot) which sets up
the DDR memory controller.
Linux (already) assumes memory is available.
Are you sure linux kernel is changing DDR_SDRAM_CFG ?
When our linux-2.6.28 kernel is up, it's still 0xc3080000 when I read
physical address 0xe0002110.

Btw. We did some performance tests with 16 bit bus-width (DDR2 memory)
and surprisingly performance was almost as good as 32 bit bus-width

---
N. van Bolhuis.