RAMDISK on EP88xc

Frank Svendsbøe frank.svendsboe at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 17:10:11 EST 2009

On Wed, Jul 1, 2009 at 10:14 PM, Mikhail
Zaturenskiy<mzaturenskiy.st at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Mikhail,
>> Try setting CONFIG_EXT2_FS=y, then recompile your kernel and reboot.
>
> Hi Frank, just tried that but still getting the same "Unpacking
> initramfs... failed!" output

Hmm... according to "Kernel command line: console=ttyCPM0,9600n8
loglevel=7" you haven't
specified where root is. Add root=/dev/ram to the kernel command line,
and specify where the
init process is located (for instance init=/sbin/init).

I haven't tried Denks ramdisk image. You can create one for yourself
using dd, gzip and U-Boots
mkimage tool. If the ramdisk image is larger than 4MB, you must either
change the default
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_SIZE=4096, or set ramdisk size in the kernel command line.

Btw, I use an older kernel than you use, but I have these defined:
CONFIG_BLK_DEV=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_COUNT=16
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM_SIZE=4096

Maybe they're obsolete now, but you can try to add them to your defconfig file.

Good luck ;-)

- Frank