ppc405ex + gigabit ethernet

Cote, Sylvain Sylvain.Cote at verint.com
Wed Jul 1 23:25:02 EST 2009

> Hi,

> I benchmarked performance of my network, which contains ppc405EX (Kilauea board, kernel 2.6.30 from Denx) connected with a linux desktop via gigabit ethernet. I used the > netperf tool:

> netperf -t UDP_STREAM -H 192.168.1.1 -- -m 32768

> So I was sending UDP packets to the desktop. The resulting speed was about 370 Kb/s. I tried to send the packets to several different computers - with the same result. So the >ppc board is the bottleneck in this case.

> Is there any possibility to improve the gigabit capabilities of the ppc405EX? Is there anyone who achieved a better performance with ppc4xx boards?
We have seen also bad performances with Gig Ethernet with ppc405ex.  One optimisation we have done is interrupt coalescing in ibm_new_mac.  This gives near 25% of txput gain.  Unfortunately, this optimisation is not yet on denx git.  We got it from AMCC directly.  Also, it looks like that 2.6 kernel is much slower then 2.4 on ppc405ex.  This is probably due to IPC and/or context switching.  We have not yet found a solution to this.  However, 370Kb/s (3Mbits/s) look like very poor.  In the worst case with 100% CPU used to send UDP data on network with the ppc405ex 600MHz, we got 190Mbits/s on Gig eth.  It looks like netperf does not stress the ppc405ex ant it network at is maximum.

Sylvain

立刻下载 MSN 保护盾,保障 MSN 安全稳定! 现在就下载!<http://im.live.cn/safe/>

This electronic message may contain proprietary and confidential information of Verint Systems Inc., its affiliates and/or subsidiaries.
The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) or
entity(ies) named above.  If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive this e-mail for the intended recipient), you may not use, copy, disclose or distribute to anyone this message or any information contained in this message.  If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify us by replying to this e-mail.