ppc405ex + gigabit ethernet

Lada Podivin lada.podivin at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 21:24:41 EST 2009

Thank you for your reply!
Yes, I agree the CPU is the bottleneck. But I have performed more tests with
the netperf tool and results seem strange to me. If I send 800 B of data,
the resulting speed is aproximately 100 Kb/s. On the other hand, If I try to
send 32KB chunk of data with jumbo frames turned on, resulting speed is
about 600 Kb/s (300-400 without jumbo frames). My ppc405ex runs at 600 MHz.

So it seems that it is definetely better idea to call sendto() less
frequently with bigger amounts of data, than to call it more often with
smaler amounts. Is it because smaller data means more frequent user
space/kernel space switching? Or is it network related issue?

Thanks!

Best,
Lada