Warning and BUG with btrfs and corrupted image

Eric Sesterhenn snakebyte at gmx.de
Fri Jan 23 19:56:21 EST 2009

* Phillip Lougher (phil.lougher at gmail.com) wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 4:51 PM, Eric Sesterhenn <snakebyte at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > I already tested squashfs. One issue is basically a problem with
> > the zlib-api for which i just posted a patch here
> > http://marc.info/?t=123212807300003&r=1&w=2
> >

> Thanks for testing Squashfs.  I've not ignored your emails, but I've
> been busy job hunting, and so have not had time to look into this
> until now.

no problem, made me take a closer look at the issue :-) Hope you were
successfull

> I hardened Squashfs against fsfuzzer back in November 2006 (remember
> the month of kernel bugs, or MOKB, which highlighted a number of
> issues with Squashfs).  Your testing has thrown up a regression that I
> inadvertently  put in last month!

Thats why I do the fsfuzzer tests for every kernel i test :-)

will you do the "wheter" -> "whether" change for the other patch locally
and push it or do you want me to send a changed version?

> > The other is an overwritten redzone (also reported in this thread
> > http://marc.info/?l=linux-fsdevel&m=123212794425497&w=2)
> > Looks like a length parameter is passed to squashfs_read_data
> > which is bigger than ((msblk->block_size >> msblk->devblksize_log2) +
> > 1), so the kcalloced buffer gets overwritten later.
>
> As part of the mainlining effort I changed Squashfs to allocate
> buffers in 4K page sizes rather than use vmalloced large buffers.   As
> far as zlib goes, it means zlib_inflate now decompresses into a
> sequence of 4K buffers rather than one large buffer.   What this means
> is zlib_inflate is called repeatedly moving to the next 4K page
> whenever zlib_inflate asks for another buffer (stream.avail_out == 0).
>
> Your testing have thrown up the case where zlib_inflate is asking for
> too many output buffers, i.e. it has returned with Z_OK,
> stream.avail_in !=0 (more input data to be processed), and
> stream.avail_out == 0 (I'd like another output buffer).  but it has
> consumed all the output buffers.  This isn't checked (the code assumes
> zlib will do the right thing on corrupt data and bomb out).  My guess
> is either zlib_inflate is getting confused with corrupt data, or
> fsfuzzer gets lucky sometimes and corrupts the filesystem to point to
> another valid but larger compressed block (i.e. in your test
> filesystems the 4K datablock is being corrupted to point to an 8K
> metadata block).
>
> This ultimately leads to an oops in zlib_inflate where it has been
> passed a bogus or NULL steam.next_out pointer.
>
> I'll create a patch and send it to you if you're happy to test it.

Sure, just throw it in my direction.

Greetings, Eric