Kernel Documentation MPC52xx Device Tree Bindings

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Wed Jan 21 03:00:26 EST 2009

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 12:44 AM, Roman Fietze
<roman.fietze at telemotive.de> wrote:
> Hello Grant,
>
> Sorry for mailing to you directly, but joining the appropriate mailing
> lists just for posting this one thing doesn't make too much sense.

You don't need to subscribe to post to the list.  Just email the list
and CC: me.  When I reply it will go to both you *and* the list.

> In
>
>  Documentation/powerpc/mpc52xx-device-tree-bindings.txt
>
> you wrote or at least submitted:
>
>  For example, PSC5 might be physically connected to the port labeled
>  'COM1' and PSC1 wired to 'COM1'.  In this case, PSC5 would have a
>  "port-number = <0>" property, and PSC1 would have "port-number =
>  <1>".
>

> Shouldn't this read 'COM0' instead of 'COM1' for PSC5?

Yes, you are right, but this description is wrong on another level
too.  I need to rewrite it.  Don't depend on the port-number property
sticking around forever.  It was an ignorant hack and a better way of
choosing human friendly labels to devices is to add properties to the
'aliases' node.  Something like this:

aliases {
        serial0 = &PSC5;
        serial1 = &PSC0;
};

where PSC5 and PSC0 are labels (used by the dtc compiler) on the psc5
and psc0 nodes.  You can see lots of examples of this in
arch/powerpc/boot/dts/

g.

--
Grant Likely, B.Sc., P.Eng.