Defconfig support

Josh Boyer jwboyer at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Jan 20 22:29:30 EST 2009

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 11:21:36PM -0500, Sean MacLennan wrote:
>Since the list seems quiet right now, thought I would ask a question.
>Up till now I haven't really worried about the warp defconfig being up
>to date since, realistically, the stock kernel was not usable on the
>warp. Since it usually boots from NAND, the lack of an ndfc driver
>made it unbootable in a production system.
>
>However, the 2.6.29 kernel will boot, so the defconfig problem becomes
>more acute. The problem is keeping the changes that are required for
>the warp while also handling the normal changes that happen every
>release.
>
>For example, the current git diff shows CONFIG_SIMPLE_GPIO which is
>just a new feature and can be safely left unset. But the watchdog made
>it into the kernel, so CONFIG_PIKA_WDT should be set for a warp.
>
>Any ideas for a good way of handling this?

You can certainly send me patches for defconfig updates.  I go through
and update them all (via make xxx_defconfig; make oldconfig) after -rc2
is available, but I might not set everything exactly as you would want
to see it.

If there's a chicken/egg problem in that there are drivers or changes
that went upstream but aren't in the powerpc branches yet for one reason
or another, you can poke me about getting things pulled in.

Since I'll be doing defconfig updates today, just tell me which options
you need set or disabled.

josh