When do i need to allocate DMA buffer

wael showair showair2003 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 13 20:03:31 EST 2009

1. so my question is: is there any difference between the DMA engine & the
DMA controller?
2. i have read the following section in my reference manual: "The MPC8555E
DMA engine is capable of transferring blocks of data from any legal address
range to any
other legal address range. Therefore, it can perform a DMA transfer between
any of its I/O or memory
ports or even between two devices or locations on the same port."

does it mean that it can copy data from source to destination directly
without using the DMA buffer?
3.can i use the DMA-PCI or the generic DMA APIs or DMA ISA APIs to drive the
DMA Engine or i m obligitaed to use the driver of DMA engine?