mpc5200 ATA DMA

Peter Czanik pczanik at fang.fa.gau.hu
Wed Jan 7 18:23:27 EST 2009

Hello,

I did a few tests this morning with the new DMA code on the EFIKA and
got the following results:

- libata.force=udma2

SCSI subsystem
initialized

ata: MPC52xx IDE/ATA libata
driver
scsi0 :
mpc52xx_ata

ata1: PATA max PIO4 ata_regs 0xf0003a00 irq
135
ata1.00: ATA-6: ST980815A, 3.ALD, max
UDMA/100
ata1.00: 156301488 sectors, multi 0:
LBA48
ata1.00: FORCE: xfer_mask set to
udma2
ata1.00: configured for
UDMA/33
scsi 0:0:0:0: Direct-Access     ATA      ST980815A        3.AL PQ: 0
ANSI: 5
Creating device nodes with
udev
udevd version 128
started

ppc-of-ohci f0001000.usb: OF
OHCI
ppc-of-ohci f0001000.usb: new USB bus registered, assigned bus number
1
ppc-of-ohci f0001000.usb: irq 134, io mem
0xf0001000
usb usb1: configuration #1 chosen from 1
choice
hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub
found

hub 1-0:1.0: 2 ports
detected

usb usb1: New USB device found, idVendor=1d6b,
idProduct=0001
usb usb1: New USB device strings: Mfr=3, Product=2,
SerialNumber=1
usb usb1: Product: OF
OHCI

usb usb1: Manufacturer: Linux 2.6.27.7-99.1-genesi
ohci_hcd
usb usb1: SerialNumber: PPC-OF
USB
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 156301488 512-byte hardware sectors:
(80.0GB/74.5GiB)
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is
off
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't
support DPO or FUA
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 156301488 512-byte hardware sectors:
(80.0GB/74.5GiB)
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is
off
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't
support DPO or FUA
 sda:

After the udevadm settle timeout, the events queue
contains:

304:
/devices/f0000000.builtin/f0003a00.ata/host0/target0:0:0/0:0:0:0

305:
/devices/f0000000.builtin/f0003a00.ata/host0/target0:0:0/0:0:0:0/bsg/0:0:0:0

306:
/devices/f0000000.builtin/f0003a00.ata/host0/target0:0:0/0:0:0:0/scsi_device/0:0:0:0

427:
/devices/f0000000.builtin/f0003a00.ata/host0/target0:0:0/0:0:0:0/scsi_disk/0:0:0:0

Boot logging started on /dev/ttyPSC0(/dev/console) at Wed Jan  7
06:58:13 2009
<3>ata1.00: exception Emask 0x0 SAct 0x0 SErr 0x0 action 0x6
frozen
ata1.00: cmd c8/00:08:00:00:00/00:00:00:00:00/e0 tag 0 dma 4096
in
         res 40/00:00:00:00:00/00:00:00:00:00/00 Emask 0x4
(timeout)
ata1.00: status: { DRDY
}
ata1: soft resetting
link

ata1.00: revalidation failed
(errno=-2)
ata1: soft resetting
link

ata1.00: revalidation failed
(errno=-2)
ata1: soft resetting
link

ata1.00: revalidation failed
(errno=-2)
ata1.00:
disabled

ata1: soft resetting
link

ata1: EH
complete

sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Result: hostbyte=DID_BAD_TARGET
driverbyte=DRIVER_OK,SUGGEST_OK
end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector
0
Buffer I/O error on device sda, logical block
0
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Result: hostbyte=DID_BAD_TARGET
driverbyte=DRIVER_OK,SUGGEST_OK
end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector
0
Buffer I/O error on device sda, logical block
0
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Result: hostbyte=DID_BAD_TARGET
driverbyte=DRIVER_OK,SUGGEST_OK
end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector
0
Buffer I/O error on device sda, logical block
0
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Result: hostbyte=DID_BAD_TARGET
driverbyte=DRIVER_OK,SUGGEST_OK
end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector
0
Buffer I/O error on device sda, logical block
0
ldm_validate_partition_table(): Disk read
failed.
[...]
Dev sda: unable to read RDB block
0
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Result: hostbyte=DID_BAD_TARGET
driverbyte=DRIVER_OK,SUGGEST_OK
end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector
0
Buffer I/O error on device sda, logical block 0
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Result: hostbyte=DID_BAD_TARGET
driverbyte=DRIVER_OK,SUGGEST_OK
end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 0
Buffer I/O error on device sda, logical block 0
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Result: hostbyte=DID_BAD_TARGET
driverbyte=DRIVER_OK,SUGGEST_OK
end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 24
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Result: hostbyte=DID_BAD_TARGET
driverbyte=DRIVER_OK,SUGGEST_OK
end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 24
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Result: hostbyte=DID_BAD_TARGET
driverbyte=DRIVER_OK,SUGGEST_OK
end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 0
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Result: hostbyte=DID_BAD_TARGET
driverbyte=DRIVER_OK,SUGGEST_OK
end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 0
 unable to read partition table
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI disk
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Result: hostbyte=DID_BAD_TARGET
driverbyte=DRIVER_OK,SUGGEST_OK
end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 0
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Result: hostbyte=DID_BAD_TARGET
driverbyte=DRIVER_OK,SUGGEST_OK
end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 0
Waiting for device /dev/sda11 to appear:
..............................Could not find /dev/sda11.
Want me to fall back to /dev/sda11? (Y/n)

- libata.force=mwdma2 is just about the same:

scsi0 :
mpc52xx_ata

ata1: PATA max PIO4 ata_regs 0xf0003a00 irq
135
ata1.00: ATA-6: ST980815A, 3.ALD, max
UDMA/100
ata1.00: 156301488 sectors, multi 0:
LBA48
ata1.00: FORCE: xfer_mask set to
mwdma2
ata1.00: configured for
MWDMA2
[...]

07:05:50 2009
[...]

- just as libata.force=mwdma1

SCSI subsystem
initialized

ata: MPC52xx IDE/ATA libata
driver
scsi0 :
mpc52xx_ata

ata1: PATA max PIO4 ata_regs 0xf0003a00 irq
135
ata1.00: ATA-6: ST980815A, 3.ALD, max
UDMA/100
ata1.00: 156301488 sectors, multi 0:
LBA48
ata1.00: FORCE: xfer_mask set to
mwdma1
ata1.00: configured for
MWDMA1
[...]

07:09:38 2009
[...]

- no kernel parameters: no trouble at all

SCSI subsystem
initialized

ata: MPC52xx IDE/ATA libata
driver
scsi0 :
mpc52xx_ata

ata1: PATA max PIO4 ata_regs 0xf0003a00 irq
135
ata1.00: ATA-6: ST980815A, 3.ALD, max
UDMA/100
ata1.00: 156301488 sectors, multi 0:
LBA48
ata1.00: configured for
PIO4
[...]

 sda: RDSK (512) sda1 (LNX^@)(res 2 spb 1) sda2 (SWP^@)(res 2 spb 1)
sda3 (EXT^C)(res 2 spb 1) sda4)
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI
disk
Boot logging started on /dev/ttyPSC0(/dev/console) at Wed Jan  7
07:19:21 2009
Waiting for device /dev/sda11 to appear:
ok
fsck 1.41.1
(01-Sep-2008)

[/sbin/fsck.ext3 (1) -- /] fsck.ext3 -a
/dev/sda11
/dev/sda11: clean, 100696/429088 files, 569041/1714938
blocks
fsck succeeded. Mounting root device
read-write.
Mounting root