What is with all these unsubscribe messages

Stephen Rothwell sfr at canb.auug.org.au
Tue Jan 6 13:53:04 EST 2009

Hi Dave,

On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 17:59:35 -0800 (PST) David Miller <davem at davemloft.net> wrote:

> This is why, as a policy, we never allow propagation of subscribers
> from old lists to new ones created at vger.kernel.org
>
> Everyone must go through the motions of adding themselves to the new
> list.
>
> If you allow the propagation, it's essentially an act of putting
> someone onto a mailing list without having their permission to do so.
>
> And the result is what we've seen here for the past few days.  If
> those people on the embedded list were truly interested in the
> linuxppc-dev list content, they would have added themselves.

Except we have merged the lists.  This was asked for by people on the
linuxppc-embedded list after (they assured me) some discussion.  I was
not on that list, so took their word for it.

The merge was announced ...

Anyway, it is done.

<annoyed>
If people are not smart enough to figure out how to unsubscribe
themselves form a mailing list (which includes the big URL hint at the
base of each message and more hints in the headers) you have to wonder
why they were subscribed.
</annoyed>

--
Cheers,