cpu_die on MPC8641D

Matt Sealey matt at genesi-usa.com
Mon Jan 5 14:06:29 EST 2009

Matt Sealey wrote:
> I just built a kernel with a config very similar to the MPC8641HPCN
> defconfig and for some reason at the end of the build I got an error
> saying there was no symbol "cpu_die".

   LD      vmlinux.o
   MODPOST vmlinux.o
   GEN     .version
   CHK     include/linux/compile.h
   UPD     include/linux/compile.h
   CC      init/version.o
   LD      init/built-in.o
   LD      .tmp_vmlinux1
arch/powerpc/kernel/built-in.o: In function `sys_call_table':
(.text+0x5c4c): undefined reference to `cpu_die'
make: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 1

And attached my build config. Even after a couple of hours of
experimenting I can't work out what causes it to fail this way; however
I do know if I turn off CONFIG_SMP the damn thing works fine again.

The MPC8641 defconfig doesn't include anything relevant that I do not
include (it's actually a clever merging of MPC8610, MPC8641D defconfigs
plus the SuSE kernel-default, which we have been testing for a while
just without SMP..). I should note that, as I have previously mentioned
on-list, neither the MPC8641D or MPC8610 defconfigs actually build with
a vanilla kernel (2.6.27 thru 2.6.27.7) anyway.

-- Matt Sealey <matt at genesi-usa.com>