Freescale MPC8313 & SPI

Mark Bishop mark at bish.net
Wed Feb 25 12:19:36 EST 2009

I am trying to understand more about how to talk to different spi
chips using the MPC8313.  The documentation that comes with the
development board is really lacking and I am relying on the
/usr/src/linux/Documentaion/spi.  However, I still can't seem to
answer my questions.

1) Which device do I open up to talk to the bus.  I would use
something like /dev/ttyS0 for a serial port, and I assume it would be
/dev/spidev.0 and I would have to make it manually using mknod - but
what ties the /dev/spidev.0 to the actual chip driver?  Is there
something I have to do in addition to mknod?

2) I would be looking for a few examples on how to talk to a SPI bus
as well.  I've looked at spidev_test.c and I would like to see another
example or two.