Can not get "new" MPC8313e-RDB to boot "as-shipped" flash image

Michael Bergandi mbergandi at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 05:55:53 EST 2009

Hi guys,

I have the Rev B board and I have it working quite well. I'll share what I
have
discovered so far.

In Eric's case, the board seems suspect. There is already a Rev C of this
board, but
I am not sure if it is actually available yet. You may want to check on
that.

Regarding U-Boot, mine shipped with v. 1.3.0. The LTIB provided dts files
follow
the original dts format. There is a new dts spec and if you ever intend to
use
a mainline kernel, you will need to use the newer dts provided in the kernel
source. Did I mention this board has at least basic support in 2.6.28 :). I
have
not determined the extent of the support though.

I have successfully used the provided U-Boot v1.3.0 to boot a 2.6.28 kernel
with
the dts-v1 device tree. Hence, I hope that will clear your speculation about
the
device tree being the problem.

I have seen the same problem that you guys have seen where U-Boot gets to
the "Uncompressing kernel ..." then reboots. This happened to me when I
passed the wrong device tree .dtb. I have also had this happen if I made
a change to the kernel config. I haven't been able to determine what exactly

that I changed that caused the problem though.

Also, if you are feeling adventurous, you can also get the latest U-Boot.
There
is a specifc branch for this board:

$ git clone git://git.denx.de/u-boot-mpc83xx.git

I haven't attempted this since I don't currently have a probe to recovery a
bad boot loader flash.

Hope this helps,

Mike