eTSEC queries on 8548E

sunder ramani sunder.svit at gmail.com
Sat Feb 21 05:30:10 EST 2009

Hi,

I am a newbie to PowerPC architecture and eTSEC. I have some queries:

1. Is there a way for me to configure different eTSECs in different media
modes? I understand that the MII interface does the same thing; yet do I
have to take some explicit care in the drivers for the eTSEC to
differentiate between a copper and fiber interface? Is this task of the SW
or is this configuration basically by the HW.

2. My custom board has the TSECs connected to a Marvell switch; one of the
ports being connected via the RGMII interface to a copper media; whilst the
other connected via the RGMII interface to another port on the switch via
the SGMII interface. Do I need to make any changes in the driver to effect
this configuration. I referred the gianfar, mdio, phy, mii drivers; but
couldnt find any specific code which would enable me to differentiate the
media interfaces.

3. My HW team tells me to write specific values to the PHY registers which
will differentiate the media interfaces to the Marvell switch via the
MDIO/MDCTL configuration lines from the MPC. If this is the case,
a. Would it be recommended to implement a PHY-ID specific implementation for
writing to the PHY registers in the gfar_enet_open when the phy_connect
function is called? OR
b. Would it be recommended to pass some kind of member through the DTS file
to the kernel, therbey affecting a change in the platform specific file.

Can any one please help me clear off these queries?

Thanx!
Sundar