Newby trying to get Ethernet going on MPC83xx series device.

Dushara Jayasinghe DusharaJ at optiscan.com
Fri Feb 20 18:18:07 EST 2009

Sorry, I'm a late comer here, but I might have an idea.  First off, I don't see below what
kernel version you are using? I may have missed it somewhere.
[dj]
Sorry I should have mentioned that earlier. I'm using 2.6.29-rc5 (pulled couple of days ago)

Hmm, well, the first thing I catch is this is an old dts format. Depending on your kernel version, you
may want to comply with the  dts v1 spec. The v1 spec is much more strict on the format of the values
that are provided for the properties.
[dj]
I've fixed that since. Thanks.

                       phy0: ethernet-phy at 0 {
                               interrupt-parent = <&ipic>;
                               interrupts = <3 8>;
                               reg = <0>;
                               device_type = "ethernet-phy";
                       };
                       phy1: ethernet-phy at 1 {
                               interrupt-parent = <&ipic>;
                               interrupts = <3 8>;
                               reg = <1>;
                               device_type = "ethernet-phy";
                       };
               };

Are you sure both PHY's use interrupt 3? I would think not.
[dj]
I need to follow that through and see.

 Also is top posting ok? I haven't figured out how to enable '>' on bloody Microsoft Outlook, for incoming plain text messages.

I'm a little new to this list, but in general top posting is frowned upon. Unfortunately, I can't help you with the Outlook problem.
I can tell you that not being able to determine what part of a message came when is extremely annoying. I hope you find a fix
for it. Or, you could try Thunderbird :)
[dj]
I'm using the HTML format. I've tagged my comments just in case the context is lost.
Consequently, I found, some further insights into the issue. Here's a debug output.
[    7.124188] {
[    7.143107] bus_id=mdio at 24520:00                                 < - - printed in drivers/net/phy/phy_device.c : phy_connect()
[    7.181907] match check mdio at 24520:1f                       < - - printed in drivers/base/bus.c : match_name()
[    7.225946] mdio at 24520:00 not found
[    7.267883] }
Where does the :1f or :00 get added?
Thanks