Gianfar tx-babbling-errors

sjoyeau at wanadoo.fr sjoyeau at wanadoo.fr
Fri Feb 20 03:48:03 EST 2009

Hi Scott,

Your issue may come from data setup (or corruption) instead of code path:
babbling error may occurs when a TSEC TX descriptor hasn't its "last frame"
bit set or when the data length is greated than max frame length.

--
sj

2009/2/19 Scott Coulter <scott.coulter at cyclone.com>

> Kumar,
>

> > can't think of any.  How about adding a BUG_ON() in the tx path to see
> > if the buffer size > MTU and re-run your tests.
> >

> So, here are the checks I've tried in gfar_start_xmit():
>
> BUG_ON(skb->len > DEFAULT_RX_BUFFER_SIZE)
>
> BUG_ON(skb->len > priv->regs->maxfrm)
>
> Neither produces a bug check yet ethtool reports non-zero
> tx-babbling-errors.  The last check appears to be the definition of
> tx-babbling-errors.  Is there a transmit path that I have missed?
>
> Scott

>  Scott N. Coulter
>  Senior Software Engineer
>
>  Cyclone Microsystems
>  370 James Street              Phone:  203.786.5536 ext. 118
>  New Haven, CT 06513-3051      Email:  scott.coulter at cyclone.com
>  U.S.A.                        Web:    http://www.cyclone.com

Sylvain JOYEAU
Freelance Engineer
Software RT-OS R&D
sylvain.joyeau at gmail.com
Tél: +33-(0)667 477 052
"A good idea is one side of the coin. The other side is the practical
usefulness". J. Liedke.