Newby trying to get Ethernet going on MPC83xx series device.

Timur Tabi timur at freescale.com
Fri Feb 20 02:17:30 EST 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 12:58 AM, Dushara Jayasinghe
<DusharaJ at optiscan.com> wrote:
> I based my board specific file on mpc834x_itx.c which had
>
> static struct of_device_id __initdata mpc834x_itx_ids[] = {
>                 { .compatible = "fsl,pq2pro-localbus", },
>                 { .compatible = "simple-bus", },
>                 {},
> };
>
> Don't know if this is broken?

Actually, it's your device tree that's broken.  The above is the right
way to do it.  The other way:

static struct of_device_id mpc834x_ids[] = {
        { .type = "soc", },
        { .compatible = "soc", },
        { .compatible = "simple-bus", },
        {},
};

is the old way.  You're missing a compatible=simple-bus in your device tree.

--
Timur Tabi
Linux kernel developer at Freescale