NFS-boot on PS3, kboot can't mount nfs-dir.s

gt bradley baykelper at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 18 10:14:51 EST 2009

I'm trying to set up my PS3 to netboot (with an nfsroot).

I'm using instructions at http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geoff/cell/ps3-howto/ps3-nfs-root-howto.txt

I've
passed section 3 (using tftp) to verify network /dhcp etc.   (i.e. I'm
able to tftp-get a file to ps3 from kboot's ash shell (busybox).

i'm trying to mount the nfs server as per section 4. with
 ~# mount -t nfs -o nolock 192.168.99.1:/target /mnt/remote

I get the following error message:
  mount: mounting 192.168.99.1:/target on /mnt/remote failed

if I boot the PS3 from the HD, then I am able to mount the nfs directory.
Using wireshark, I can see the initial dhcp traffic, (and when present the tftp traffic).
the mount command doesn't open a network connection to the server,
So I have pretty much ruled out server
 configuration.

running "strings" on the decompressed kboot image yeilds serveral nfs symbols, so it
appears to still support nfs mounting.  (using version kboot-20080609.bld from geoff's dir at kernel.org)
I have tried googling, and searching the various mailing lists, but am stuck.

any help would be appreciated
GT