Maple PPC970 kexec crash-dump problems

Milton Miller miltonm at bga.com
Sat Feb 7 03:53:14 EST 2009

On Feb 4, 2009, at 12:48 PM, Benjamin Walsh wrote:

> Hi Milton,
>
> I've tracked it down to the device tree passed to the second kernel
> being screwed-up when patched by kexec-tools. Namely, it was creating
> linux,usable-memory entries that were wrong, and the MMU
> initialization hung when it failed allocating for the page tables. I
> hacked the tool, and got passed that point in the init sequence, but
> the very first IO mapped access fails, so the MMU doesn't seem to be
> set up correctly.

I would need more details exactly what you think is wrong.

How does it fail?

If the first IO mapped access fails, then I would ask if you are using
IOMMU.  It is quite possible that the dart iommu code needs to be
modified to use the existing mapping table instead of allocating a new
table, otherwise any existing mappings being used by inflight dma would
fail and the that might cause mmio loads to wait for uncompletable dma
writes.   Just a theory with the lack of information you gave me.

> Anyway, up to my question: is the crash dump (kdump) kernel supposed
> to use the memory reserved for it by the first kernel for its working
> memory ? e.g. On that board, I have 0->2GB and 4->6GB for a total of
> 4GB of RAM. Let's say I reserve 128M at 32M, that's 0x2000000->0xa000000.
> Is the second kernel supposed to use
>
> (0x2000000+<kernel size>) -> 0xa000000
>
> for its memory pool and leave everything else:
>
> 0->0x2000000, 0xa000000 -> 80000000, 0x100000000 -> 0x180000000
>
> as memory that is from the first kernel, used to debug it ?

Yes, but that is not quite how the device tree is formed.

The second kernel will also use the interrupt vector area at address 0.
  Therefore that is saved as the backup region in purgatory to the
address allocated in the kdump region.  The device tree is then
created with linux,usable-memory regions extending the kdump region
back to 0, and a reserve entry marking the area as reserved.

In addition, the device tree gets the memory backing tce tables for
pseries smp mode.  It may need the page with the dart table, marked
reserved, so that the table gets added to the linear map -- except it
should be mapped cache inhibited so that may not work either.