kernel 2.6.24 USB wi fi device firmware loading issue(s): rt73.bin...

Alan Nishioka alan at nishioka.com
Thu Feb 5 06:14:04 EST 2009

request_firmware uses the hotplug code so the kernel doesn't have any
sourceless binaries compiled into it.  on init, the driver requests the
firmware, user mode hotplug daemon loads the firmware from disk and
gives the driver a pointer to it.

since this is a short term problem, i would suggest converting rt73.bin
to a header file and compiling it into the kernel.  you have to make a
few minor changes to where request_firmware is called, but in the end
firmware is just an array of bytes with a pointer to it.  this is what i
did when i was testing usb wifi a little while ago.

i am probably going to open source hell for suggesting this, but i'm a
hardware engineer, so i am in hell already.

alan nishioka