kernel 2.6.24 USB wlan firmware loading issue(s): rt73.bin...

Mike Timmons mike_timmons at trimble.com
Tue Feb 3 16:23:39 EST 2009

I received great help last week in getting a USB wi fi device working.
Thanks again, but can someone read below and advise me on kernel 2.6.24?
The best out-of-the box solution for me was 2.6.27.8, for which I needed
a Denx eldx toolchain in place of the toolchain I was using to compile
2.6.24. The significance of all this is that I did get  USB wi fi
working, but...

I'm not in a position to upgrade from 2.6.24 at this time. I need to get
the USB wi wi (Linksys WUSB54GC) working under 2.6.24.

After success with linking firmware with the 2.6.27.8 kernel, 2.6.24 I
keep hitting this error when loading from user space (I don't appear to
have the, "link with kernel" option with 2.6.24)...

sh-2.05b# ifconfig wlan0 up
[  764.744354] phy0 -> rt2x00lib_request_firmware: Info - Loading
firmware file 'rt73.bin'.

I have spent many, many hours following leads (and links) this group has
directed me to. I've done the following...

1)placed rt73.bin in various locations (/lib/firmware,
lib/firmware/'uname -a', and the location specified by my
/etc/hotplug/firmware.agent)

None of this appears to make a difference.

2) I'm a bit confused by the hotplug dependancy, although I do have
hotplug enabled. "hotplug" makes me think I should be configuring some
script to load the firmware upon device insertion, but, "ifconfig wlan0
up" appears to want to load the firmware anyway so I'm guessing if I
just get rt73.bin in the right spot it should work.

Comparing my working 2.6.27.8 to 2.6.24 in the areas of "firmware: and
the ralink rt2x00 drivers reveals MANY changes, no doubt for the better.

QUESTIONS:
1) Am I missing something VERY simple on this firmware loading topic
that should make this work under 2.6.24, or am I bumping into the reason
so much of this code has changed between 2.6.24 and 2.6.27.8?

2) am I correctly, "installing" the firmware just by placing rt73.bin in
the correct location in my filesystem, or is there some other magic
required before, "request_firmware()" will work?

Just when I thought I understood some of the kernel I hit a new topic:
firmware loading! Any help much appreciated...

-Mike