powerpc/kvm tree build failure

Alexander Graf agraf at suse.de
Mon Dec 14 21:03:15 EST 2009

On 14.12.2009, at 07:35, Stephen Rothwell wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> A powerpc allmodconfig fails like this:
>
> arch/powerpc/kvm/built-in.o:(.toc1+0x18): undefined reference to `kvm_debugfs_dir'
>
> This is because CONFIG_KVM_EXIT_TIMING is a bool while
> CONFIG_KVM_BOOK3S_64 is tristate. This causes arch/powerpc/kvm/timing.o
> (which references kvm_debugfs_dir) to be built in, but
> virt/kvm/kvm_main.o (which defines it) to be modular.

Ouch.

EXIT_TIMING could be used by BookE and Book3S KVM support. BookE can't be built as a module, while Book3S can.

So what's the usual / best way to fix this? Make EXIT_TIMING a tristate too, but only on Book3S? Maybe by defining it as dependent on Book3S or BookE KVM support?

The easiest thing for now would probably be to just make it depend on BookE support, since we don't have support for exit timing in Book3S yet. But I'm not sure which approach is the best to take :-).

Alex