+ iseries-convert-to-proc_fops.patch added to -mm tree

Andrew Morton akpm at linux-foundation.org
Tue Dec 8 17:31:01 EST 2009

On Tue, 08 Dec 2009 15:42:19 +1100 Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh at kernel.crashing.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 2009-12-01 at 14:05 -0800, akpm at linux-foundation.org wrote:
> > The patch titled
> >      iseries: convert to proc_fops
> > has been added to the -mm tree.  Its filename is
> >      iseries-convert-to-proc_fops.patch
>
> I was looking at that patch since It was in my queue, and while I
> have no firm objection, I started wondering what was the point :-)
>
> IE. What does seq_file buys us here since the conversion adds more
> code than it removes and adds a hope via kmalloc that isn't necessary
> before the said conversion ?
>
> Those files are only ever one line long (and one of them is only one
> character) so the seq_file doesn't really gets us any benefit does it ?

Might be related to this:

: Convert code away from ->read_proc/->write_proc interfaces.  Switch to
: proc_create()/proc_create_data() which make addition of proc entries
: reliable wrt NULL ->proc_fops, NULL ->data and so on.
:
: Problem with ->read_proc et al is described here commit
: 786d7e1612f0b0adb6046f19b906609e4fe8b1ba "Fix rmmod/read/write races in
: /proc entries"

but the real answer is: I have no idea.

Hopefully Andrey is now cured of his tendency to send unchangelogged
patches.

Andrey, please send along changelogs for

iseries-convert-to-proc_fops.patch
via-pmu-convert-to-proc_fops-seq_file.patch
proc_fops-convert-av7110.patch
proc_fops-convert-cpia.patch
proc_fops-convert-drivers-isdn-to-seq_file.patch
uml-convert-to-seq_file-proc_fops.patch
clps711xfb-convert-to-proc_fops.patch