TQM5200 + SM501 FB

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Dec 5 09:04:26 EST 2009

Dear Rolf Offermanns,

In message <4B191B54.6030804 at sysgo.com> you wrote:

> does anyone has a working SM501 framebuffer on the STK5200 board? The
> board itself works fine on the 2.6.32 kernel.

This is a pretty well supported configuration.

> I got a patch from TQ which used to work around 2.6.24 but it seems with
> the unification of the "simple mpc5200" boards the sm501 support got lost.

Don't expect any real support from TQ on this; so far they never
spent any efforts on the arch/powerpc port of the TQM5200.

> I toyed around with the patch a bit and I got the driver to probe and
> initialize the chip, but I don't get an output on the crt port and an
> open() on /dev/fb0 or /dev/fb1 fails with "no device".

Did you check if you eventually have forgotten to enable Framebuffer
console in your kernel configuration? Make sure to set:

 Device Drivers  --->
   Character devices  --->
     [*] Virtual terminal
     [*]   Support for console on virtual terminal (NEW)

   Multifunction device drivers  --->
     <*> Support for Silicon Motion SM501

   Graphics support  --->
     <*> Support for frame buffer devices  --->
       [*]   Framebuffer foreign endianness support  --->
         Choice endianness support (Support for Big- and Little-Endian framebuffers)  --->
       <*>   Silicon Motion SM501 framebuffer support

     Console display driver support  --->
       [ ] VGA text console      (! disable VGA text console!)
       <*> Framebuffer Console support

Please find attached below a patch which fixes some issues (but we
don't consider it clean enough for inclusion into mainline yet), and a
known to be working config file. [Kudos to Anatolij for providing
this.]

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
What was sliced bread the greatest thing since?