using different format for hugetlbfs

Kumar Gala galak at kernel.crashing.org
Fri Dec 4 18:18:51 EST 2009

Ben, David,

If we want to support true 4G/4G split on ppc32 using the MSB of the
address to determine of the pgd_t is for hugetlbfs isn't going to
work.  Since every pointer in the pgd_t -> pud_t -> pmd_t is point to
at least a 4K page I would think the low order 12-bits should always
be 0.

Could we use something like:

addr[0:51] || shift [52:59] || flags [60:63]

with the LSB flag being 'normal pointer' vs 'hugetlbfs mangled
pointer'.  Seems like shift will at most be 64 so 8-bits should cover
it.

- k