ARM clock API to PowerPC

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Fri Aug 14 19:29:09 EST 2009

On Thu, 2009-08-13 at 16:59 +0800, Li Yang-R58472 wrote:
> >Now, I know there is at least one person on earth
> >contemplating sharing some drivers between PPC and ARM. I
> >won't tell much more at this stage, but it makes sense in the
> >grand scheme of things to see SoC vendors put similar IO cores
> >into either PPC or ARM and providing that clock API is a good
> >way to also allow these drivers to work since the drivers in
> >questions make use of it.
>
> Freescale USB UDC driver is another example that shared between PowerPC
> and ARM(i.mx).  Currently, the imx part of the driver uses clk API, but
> PowerPC part uses static initialization.  It will be better if we can
> unify the clk setting part of the driver.

I had a look at it looks like it uses the API in a way that would fit
nicely with my plans, ie, it should be possible to use the same driver
on both archs pretty much without changes provided the ppc platform
provides a clock source driver and hooks it up to the device-tree.

I'll work on some proof-of-concept implementation of the core bits
early next week.

Cheers,
Ben.